Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Simplicity is contagious

I have been continually paring down my belongings, and it seems to have caught on!

Over the years my mom had accumulated five mugs which she only uses during the holiday season. For the rest of the year they sit unused on a shelf. I had been encouraging her to get rid of some of them, but she insisted that they were important to her, and I didn't mention it again.


So, I was surprised to see her the other morning, putting most of her mugs in a box. I asked her what had changed, and she said that she realized that every morning she reaches for the same Christmas cup and that the others rarely get used. She made her own decision about simplicity.

What she decided to keep were her two favorite mugs, an old-fashioned Christmas mug and a simple Hanukkah mug. They are both important to her, not only because they are pretty but because they hold sentimental value.



What I learned from this is that simplicity cannot be forced. My mom's final decision to get rid of the cups is only strengthened by the fact that she made it without pressure from me. I am so enthusiastic about the joys of simple living that all I want to do is share my passion. Sometimes I am simple to the extreme (read about my future tiny home here) but I know that even the smallest act of simplifying can bring happiness. I hope that by striving to continually simplify my life I can inspire more people to find simplicity.

Enjoy today,
Addie



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...