Friday, December 21, 2012

DIY jewelry holder



As I continue to simplify my life, I find organizational tactics that just don't work. A good example of this was my earring storage. I was hanging my earring from hoop earrings (that I never wear) that were hooked on to the light fixtures in my bathroom. I had another spot just to hang my necklaces.


This week, I was shopping downtown with a friend when in one of my favorite local shoe stores I saw that they displayed their earring in window screens framed by old wood windows. I thought, I could figure out something like that, and I did. This is the first of my recent projects to be finished and put to use. Here is the DIY for my embroidery hoop earring holder!

Step 1: Gather your materials

I already had the embroidery hoop and I purchased the window screen for $1 at my local ReStore. 

An emboridery hoop, an old window screen, and a box knife

Step 2: Cut the screen out of the frame


Step 3: Lay the screen over the small inside hoop


Step 4: Slide the larger hoop over the screen. Make sure the screen material is pulled taught and then tighten the bolt on the large hoop.

Flip the hoop and pull the screen taught
Step 5: Cut the excess screen
Step 6: Add necklace holders (optional)

To hold my necklaces I used small crafting brads and slid them between the two hoops.
Step 7: Hang your handy work! I used two screws, one at the top and one below the tightening bolt. I started with one screw at the top but the uneven weight caused it to tip. The second screw keeps it from leaning to one side. 
The great thing about this is that it is completely customizable! If you need more space for necklaces, turn it on its side and get more hanging space. If you don't have necklaces, don't add the brads and you'll have tons of room for earrings. 

I love how easy this makes my morning! All of my earrings and necklaces are easily visible and don't fall into the sink like before. If you make this project, be sure to let me know how it went!

Enjoy today,
Addie
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...