Wednesday, November 7, 2012

A day at the beach

There's nothing like a day at the beach. Where I live, beaches consist mostly of rocks, seaweed, and driftwood. Not exactly what you think of for a fun outing. Unless you are a dog.

Our dogs Mia (big and yellow) and Max (brown and small) love the beach. They love the beach, they love the car ride there, the love the excitement of knowing that something is happening when we put our jackets on and for once don't shoo them away. It seems like every time my family takes the dogs for an outing, we talk about how, since the dogs love it so much, we should do this more. So why don't we? School, work, housework, (and in the Northwest) rainy days just seem to always get in the way. 

What finally motivated us was Max's diagnosis with lung cancer. While at the beach Max ran, played, and rolled in dead things like any dog half his age. I feel guilty for not doing things like this with the dogs all of the time, but I also know that I can't change the past. Things like this allow us to realize that there are hassles and annoyances in our lives that one day we will miss. Appreciating the things we have in our lives now makes little room for regret in the future.

With this in perspective I vow to:
Pet my cat
Occasionally pet the dogs (even though sometimes they smell)
and
Tell the people I see everyday (and sometimes take for granted) how much I appreciate them

What will you vow to do?

Enjoy today,
Addie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...